Make your own instruments over summer break. I love you guys. Take care!
Print this out and fill in the blanks or write your answers on a piece of paper send it to your teacher:
Ms. Scoggins’ classes: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Holbrook’s classes: email@example.com
Step 1 – Watch this Kaboom Percussion video “Disney Medley on Plastic Bottles” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0C5PnCID10&list=RD6UtZsTFG12U&index=2
Step 2- Watch the Kaboom Percussion that explains how the bottlephone you just watched was built and how it works https://youtu.be/eHoHqHK2UVU
Step 3 - After watching the videos, answer the following questions.
1. What do you think is causing the bottles to play different notes? _______________________________________
2. What does it look like they are striking the bottles with?______________________________________________
3. What have we used in music classes this year or in the past that is similar to what they are striking the bottles with?
4. What do you think is making the sound that is similar to our egg shakers or maracas?______________________
5. What containers or other materials in addition to bottles that you have around the house might be used to create an instrument similar to this?
6. After watching this video, do you have any questions about the instrument they’re playing?
Yes (if yes, write your question below) No
7. Can you imagine building a bottlephone?_____________What about another instrument?____________________
For some extra summer fun, here are some links to check out to build your own instrument at home. Ask for help from parents gathering materials and using a glue gun or hammer and nails. If you make an instrument, please send us pictures and video, we’d love to see what you create! Have a magical summer!!!
!9 homemade string, percussion and wind instruments: https://redtri.com/homemade-instruments/slide/1
Make your own drum, string instrument or shaker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nchegAjxP0
Make your own Rainstick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0C-K0VxMMk
Warm-up your body and voice for all you will do today. Come on, it's fun! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ibRYDBFTw
Today is field day for RNE. Put together your ultimate playlist of exercise tunes to get you pumped for the big day! For fun, email me your list at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last week of school!!! Learn how to do the famous "Cup Song" routine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFepKLaT1WI
This short CNN clip shows how hand-crafted ukuleles are made. https://youtu.be/0xLkQru_4Xg
Two cello parts, one person, all the fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hSWsAQXKJE
Does it make a difference to the sound of the song if you play the same song on different instruments? You betcha1
Eye of the Tiger on Boomwhackers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTYk9TfKKEM
Eye of the Tiger played by Auburn Marching Band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facOmpNhlNI
Great song played by really entertaining groups!
It's a Footloose kind of day. Dance it out, friends! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TBmPNYjMsU
Ms. Scoggins teaches general music at Roswell North Elementary. She is also the director for the RNE Fourth and Fifth Grade Chorus. She strives to develop in each student what she has, a love of music and music learning. Her personal music experience includes performing in choral, opera, musical theater, stage, sacred and recital settings, in addition to producing, directing and coaching vocal and dramatic works.